Sunday, March 13, 2011

Simon & Garfunkel - Sparrow

I was in the kitchen making coffee and saw something flopping about outside below the feeder. A small sparrow was unable to get up. It may have flown into the screen in the early half light and looked like the one I saw first at the feeders, each morning, this summer just gone. It was cold and unable to move but tried. I held it in my hand as it drifted in and out, opening it's eyes to look at me a few times. When I breathed on it and stroked it's back as my duck Sasha had liked, it closed it's eyes and seemed to relax. A drop of water from the crease in my palm was welcomed. I poured my coffee and managed to open and add to my cup, the hazelnut creamer I am addicted to, with one hand and then, we went downstairs to the open chat window where my love's little green dot was waiting. With one finger typing, I shared my morning with her and, as I did, a star of tiny golden tingles filled my palm. I have been with beings at their departure and so know the horrible and sudden change from being with someone, to being alone. But this time, I was not alone for though it was by a chat box, a little green dot, She was here with me. It was my honor and privilege to ease the end of this one bird but I have often thought about the way most beings do it alone, as we all must. - My palm still tingles but at least I don't have that song running through my head as I had from the moment I first held the sparrow. I had to write this to make it stop. Thank you for being and have a great day Y'all .

No comments:

Post a Comment